For a better experience please change your browser to CHROME, FIREFOX, OPERA or Internet Explorer.

Police present escort via village as physique of Daniel Prial is introduced via Warwick

WARWICK – The New York State Police and U.S. military provided an escort Thursday when the body of U.S. Army Chief Warrant Officer 2 Daniel Prial was brought from Fort Drum to his family’s home in Warwick.

Orange County Fire Services set up an honor guard on the route from Route 17 to Route 17A to Warwick.

The fire department will also provide honor details along the route from Warwick to West Point for Prial’s funeral on Saturday.

Prial, 30, was one of three soldiers who died on January 20 when the New York National Guard UH-60 medical evacuation helicopter they were in crashed during a training mission near Rochester.

Prial grew up in Warwick and made his decision to join the military after September 11, his family said. He made his way to West Point Military Academy and had served in the U.S. Army since 2012 and attained the rank of captain. He served as the leader of a medical evacuation platoon in Afghanistan with the 82nd Combat Aviation Brigade, 82nd Airborne Division, according to the military, and accepted an appointment as a warrant officer with the New York National Guard so he could fly on to the Department of Defense about the men who died in the crash.

During his military service, Prial received the Air Medal, Army Commendation Medal, Army Achievement Medal, National Defense Service Medal, NATO Medal, Global War on Terrorism Service Medal, Afghan Campaign Medal, and Army Aviator Badge.

The Warwick Fire Department posted a notice to their members on their Facebook page asking them to line up on Main Street between St. Anthony’s Community Hospital and West Street.

“Bring a flag, bring a friend,” urged the post.

On Thursday morning January 28, 2021, people line up on Main Street in Warwick to pay tribute to Officer 2 Daniel Prial.  Prial was one of three soldiers killed in a U.S. National Guard UH-60 medical helicopter crash near Rochester.