Police operation nets intercourse suspects, together with Berkeley Springs man – The Morgan Messenger
An inter-agency police investigation and coordinated operation in Maryland
on June 3rd has more than a dozen people suspected of being involved in a criminal sex trafficking operation in Washington County, Md.
On Thursday June 3, members of the Hagerstown Police Department, the Washington County Sheriff’s Department, the Maryland State Police Department of Computer Crimes and the Child Rescue Unit joined forces to tackle the sex trafficking in Washington County Maryland, said Detective Sgt. Andrew Lewis , Head of the criminal investigation department.
“Numerous officers from each agency performed several different operations throughout the day. Sex trafficking victims and suspects have been targeted along with sexual abusers of children and those who support sex work in general, ”said Sgt. Lewis. “This action was a great success.”
In total, the above authorities arrested or detained 19 different people. Of those 19 subjects, seven are currently not charged because they have been enrolled in harm reduction programs by the Washington County Health Department. The remaining 12 people were charged.
A man from Berkeley Springs was among the defendants.
The subjects charged were:
–John D. Litaker, 54, of Berkeley Springs (general prostitution, CDS possession, and paraphernalia possession),
– Jackie L. Cobbs, 34, of Hagerstown (Sexual solicitation of a minor)
– Luis Enrique Franco Ramos, 27, from Hagerstown (sexual solicitation of a minor)
– Brooke Marie Rutherford, 36, from Hagerstown (CDS possession with intent – opioid, CDS possession, prostitution)
– Juan Alberto Martinez Reyes, 37, from Smithsburg (Prostitution: General)
– Charles Ira Cooke, 75, from Hagerstown (Prostitution: General)
– Gibson Opoku-Mensah, 43, from Hagerstown (Prostitution: General)
– James Lester Baker, 60, from Hagerstown (Prostitution: General)
– Moises Isahi Gonzalez Sanchez, 28, from Hagerstown (Prostitution: General)
– Frank Edward Gordon II, 57, of Fort Loudon, Pennsylvania (Prostitution: General)
– Terry Lynn Fraley, 65, from Williamsport (Prostitution: General)
– Jordan Jason Phillips, 21, from Shepherdstown (Prostitution: General)
The Washington County Department of Health also worked with law enforcement officials to provide victims with harm reduction programs and other essential services. The police said their contributions were “very necessary”.
“The primary goal of these operations is to end the sex trafficking within Washington County. Sex trafficking of any kind and those who support it are aggressively targeted and enforced, ”said Detective Sgt. Andrew Lewis, chief investigator.
In addition to the dozen of suspects charged in the operation, six other arrest warrants were served and suspected heroin and methamphetamine were seized.
This investigation was a coordinated effort between the Hagerstown Police Department, the Washington County Sheriff’s Department, the Maryland State Police’s Cybercrime Department, the Maryland State Police Child Rescue Department, and the Washington County Health Department under the Maryland Criminal Intelligence Network (MCIN).
“The governor’s office for crime prevention, youth and victim services provides grants and strategic support to MCIN affiliates to identify, disrupt and disband criminal organizations through inter-agency collaboration and data sharing to make Maryland safer,” police officers said.