For a better experience please change your browser to CHROME, FIREFOX, OPERA or Internet Explorer.

North Las Vegas man sentenced in intercourse case involving minors

What she went through when she was 15 turned her life into a spiral: she cannot trust anyone, her fear is paralyzing, and she had hip surgery for the repeated rapes.

“It took me several years to realize that I am not worthless and that I am loved,” the woman testified on Tuesday before her perpetrator, Jimmy Carter Kim, was sentenced to 10 to 25 years’ imprisonment.

The North Las Vegas man pleaded guilty to two cases of attempted sexual assault on minors under the age of 16 in April. Originally he was guilty of 83 cases including sexual assault with a minor, kidnapping, indecency, attempted sexual assault, and the use of a minor to produce pornography.

Kim was first arrested in December 2015 after a 14-year-old runaway from Bullhead City, Arizona called 911 to report that he had been kidnapped and locked in his bedroom for about a month, court records show. He was 26.

His arrest sparked an FBI search to identify more of his victims. Four victims have been named in court documents, but the Las Vegas Review-Journal does not usually identify victims of sex crimes.

As part of Kim’s plea agreement, he was pleaded guilty in a similar federal lawsuit. He pleaded guilty to the sexual exploitation of children in this case.

Kim called for the virtual hearing Tuesday and apologized to District Judge Mary Kay Holthus. He said he took responsibility for his actions and told the judge that he was dealing with his mother’s death at the time.

“I am really sorry for those I have hurt, the people I have offended and how it has affected people’s families,” he said. “I only ask that I be forgiven for this because I have taken a lot of time to pray to God and try to find a right path for myself.”

In a tearful statement on a videoconference, one of the victims said she would finally get justice.

She said she waited a month to see a doctor after the crime. She had a urinary tract infection and a sore throat. She also spent three years in long-term facilities and six years in therapy. Sometimes she breaks down and it is difficult for her to keep a job, she testified.

“I have a 2-year-old son I love, but I’m scared of screwing him up because of this experience,” the woman said. “I feel like I don’t know how to love.”

“They are not worthless,” replied the judge, praising her for seeking therapy. “Stick with it, okay?”

Kim is released from federal custody, in which case Kim is awaiting conviction.

Contact Briana Erickson at or 702-387-5244. Follow @ByBrianaE on Twitter.